Friday, March 4, 2011

My Chinese Woman

So as previously stated, I am back from the bush after long hours of bounty hunter check ups, days of oil covered mayo layered, egg and bread and not one, but two decently noteworthy jeep rides, to and from Monrovia. What I didn’t mention was that the wonderful walls of Make Fire left me with a souvenir; a pretty significant scratch (borderline cut if you will) on my elbow. Nothing to fret over. I bandaged it and moved on with the rest of the week in the bush. Flash forward to a week and a half later and my slightly obsessive desire to pick at it led to a small (in my opinion) infection. By Sunday the need for me to get it taken care of was apparent and my first thought was: well heck if I have something sharp and sterile, coupled with some rubbing alcohol and a band aid this problem would not be a problem.

My roommate, who’s lived in Liberia for years, has no such materials in the apartment (what!? Who are you? Really). “I have Neosporin.” No, that will not do anything to the swollen,infected, angry wound on my elbow. I need to attack this thing with conviction and you have Neosporin, failure. This is a particularly perplexing issue simply because it’s Sunday and nothing is open. Nothing. Crap. So I wake up in the morning and head to what he deems the best clinic in Monroivia. Health care here is touch and go and sporadic in terms of services. You need to know what you need and choose the right one for that need. For me- “The Chinese Clinic that's 2 blocks from here.” Good. Email my director and tell her I’ll be late on Monday. This needs to be dealt with. It’s not too good at this point. I mosey down there and come to find that the doctor’s on vacation. “You should go to the one in Sinkor. His sister is the doctor there.” Fine. Onward. Because of the fact that I am already 45 min late, I head to work and tell my director what’s going on. She didn’t read my email (no biggie), but she sends a local staff member with me to the Chinese clinic. “Your job is to make sure Brittany get’s taken care of today.” Le’ go, Camelia!

We stumble into Chinese clinic number 2 and I explain the mess that is my infected elbow. Here’s what I wanted: cut it open, drain it, clean it and bandage it (with some possible antibiotics on the side, since it’s spread a bit). Here’s what she does: Takes my temperature (typical), Takes my blood pressure (oh it’s low, great) and the prescribes what I need. “Ok I give you injection, some pills and a cream and it be ok.” No, why aren’t we cleaning it out? Drain it. Come on look at it. It wants to be drained. “No, we no need.” Ughhhhh woman. “You take injections and pills and rub cream and it be ok in 3 days.” Yea, you said that. Ok fine. I know the antibiotics are legitimate, because I’ve heard of them before, so I’m good there…despite the fact that the rest of the box is in Chinese. The cream (also in Chinese) is clearly explained with pictures on the box. Good to go there. The injections are another form of the antibiotic. Clean needle, you bet I checked that. Camelia leaves the room after her “You’re butt is going to hurt for days” comment and says she’ll come back after the needle part. Bring it on. I return to the office sore and medicated and coworker Helen tells me that Ben has an infection in the countryside and is “going under the knife for it today.” Dang it! I wanted that! Unfair. He also has a bad fever that knocked him out for days. Mine wasn’t too bad yet. “Oh and Philip is heading back, he has a bad fever too.” The original bush team is just doing spectacular right now. All three, down for the count.

Day two: Head back to the clinic for the second round. She notices that my wound is extra angry today and has begun oozing. Cooooooool. Drain it! It’s better in terms of swelling, yes, but please OPEN IT! She agrees that there is something in there and it needs to come out (you think?). “It may be mango fly. They burry in after bite.” No, it’s not a bite, but hey if it means you’re going to get serious with your little tool kit, sure it’s a fly. Next 35 min: ouch. At least Ben got some kind of anesthetic when they dealt with his. Despite the large hole she’s now created in my elbow, I am relieved that it’s cleaned out. Shot two. Other side please. I’m sore over there still. I slowly walk to a taxi and get to the office. Ben’s there and we swap stories. I am weak and in pain from the meds and draining session and he can barely walk. Philip is back and is sent in for a malaria test. Those are another tricky thing to get done right. “We need a clinic with the right test.” Two tests are available: the finger prick and the machine. We cacus about it and talk about where the staff has gone before for malaria. Calls are made and we find a machine. Go, Phil, go.

Day three: Ben calls: “is your doctor for real?” Yea. “She has a legit medical education and you think she knows her stuff?” Yea, I mean I’m exhausted, but it’s been 2 days and it’s on its way to healed, like she said. My Chinese woman knows what she’s doing. “I’m coming with you. Let’s get some injections.” Yes, let’s. She looks at it and it’s doing great. She gives it one more splash of alcohol, a swab and I’m ready for injection number 3. I tell her about Ben and how we have the exact same thing, but they cut his open much sooner. “Oh it is also mango fly, yes?” Sure. “Brittany, let’s get some injections.” His hole is bigger and needs more days, but he gets the same treatment and is still going back. Thursday- I finish the antibiotics and just have a band aid to cover the still healing hole. Philip has malaria and is on the meds. Ben is getting better, but still has trouble moving…and we’re all still at work. I’m first to the finish line, but they aren’t far behind. Health care in Liberia, you take a group effort. Shout out to the clinic I chose and my Chinese doc. You are much appreciated.

PS: I now own rubbing alcohol and hydrogen peroxide. I will not be repeating this experience.

3 comments:

  1. Oh God! Brittany I am soooo sorry! But sounds like you were a trooper. This will be an experience you will never forget for sure! Gotta love Chinese medicine. I know how that goes hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yea I bet you do lol! at least you can read it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe green tea will help?

    ReplyDelete