Saturday, March 19, 2011

Going Native

Have I mentioned that I currently live with somewhat of a legend? Since day one, I say his name pretty much anywhere and I get “oh you live with him??” So you know him? “Well no, but I know of him.“ When I was still fresh off the plane I would get “This is Brittany,” followed by my roommate’s name. What’s up with mentioning who I live with? “He’s like a legend here.” That of course did nothing for my newbee reputation at the time. Darn. After 5 min of interrogating him, he laughs and says “well yea, I guess if the expiration date of an expat is 1.5-2 years max, being here for 3 years makes me something.” You mean, other than nuts?

There’s a reason behind the expiration date. 1 ½ to 2 years gives you enough time to settle in, figure things out and get your job done effectively (your boss Stateside or in Europe doesn’t need you going native either). Scratch that, both done and effectively may be taking it a bit far. The 2 years is nothing in comparison to the amount of work that needs to get done. Yea, you may be really effective in the 2 years you are here, but then someone else comes in, does it how they see fit and changes everything up. Doesn’t sound too effective to me. If I were the local staff, I’d be pissed. You’re going to come in here and do everything your way because you think it’s better? It was fine before! Who the heck are you? Oh right, the new boss. The 3rd one in 6 years. Great. Ugh white people. Siding with the local staff? A bit. Don’t worry it’ll subside. Expat bosses wouldn’t need to be cycled in and out if a local could do what expats do ( yes, I said that). It’s true. Going native? Heck no. This is Liberia. I couldn’t truly fit in, even if I wanted to (and I don’t). Have you seen me? Not happening.I could get a Liberian wardrobe, eat palm butter everyday (clog an artery), speak perfect Liberian English and still would not be native.

So, the whole “they might go native while they're here,” reason behind the 2 year expiration date—I reject that. 2 year expiration date, due to your mental health? Now, that I could get behind.

Bendu out.


No comments:

Post a Comment