Sunday, March 6, 2011

Be Like Botswana

Tea, George Michael, Paul Collier and a rainstorm: all the things that make a beautiful start to a weekend. I met up with Julian last night and every time we get together it becomes an academic geek fest, coupled with hours of judging the surrounding society (oil hungry southerners, yea Julian and I). “Hey did you go to Paul Collier’s talk on Monday?” No. I didn’t. I was busy loading up on antibiotics. I did know he was in town though and knew it would be broadcast over the radio. So, I do know what was said. As a precursor: I do not view post conflict development from an economic lens. Yea you need it. Yea money is good, but if you take the needs of a people and filter them only through economics, you’re an idiot. Did I just call Paul Collier an idiot? Not directly. I wouldn’t do that. Collier literally told the Ministry of Finance what to do. He also added insult to injury by waving his finger while speaking (in case you were wondering). “Yea! He turned away from the audience, toward the minister and lectured him on what to do in Liberia.” Inappropriate in front of hundreds of Liberians? Most definitely.

He continued to go on and on about how resources in a country are key for development. “I think he either forgot where is was or just didn’t care.” You’re honesty going to talk about how diamonds can save a country in a country where diamonds helped do just the opposite? Well, he did just that. I was offended, and I was only listening to it over the radio. Apparently the Minister of Finance took this verbal beating like a champion though. Kudos to him. To Collier’s credit (not really) he gave one example of success; Botswana. Opinion: This is typical Collier to me. I don’t know him obviously, but I willing to make this generalization. It seems to be his style to say something that may have a kernel of truth to it (resources fuel development), site one, maybe two success stories (which means nothing!) and run with it. No, I’m sorry Sir, that’s not how theories work (miss that day in school, did we?). Every moment he spent talking about how Liberia has gold, diamonds and soon oil, was like a stab in the side of the entire audience. Liberians were flustered and expats were in shock. “Botswana was such a success story.” Shut up about Botswana, man. We get it. You think every nation that has these resources should be Botswana. Julian: “the next thing I know he’s going to site Saudi Arabia as a successful oil state.” Well people recognize them. “Yea, because they bought their legitimacy with oil!” Come on Liberia you have oil, be Saudi Arabia. I wouldn’t put it past him.

Ok fine. The resources here could be an asset, but to make that statement and lecture the Minister of Finance as if the entire resource and war history of Liberia doesn’t come into play, is obscene. Julian and I agree on a phrase that captures his talk: How dare he. At least he raised my blood pressure a bit. Good thing George Michael was playing on the projector in the restaurant. His faith album lightens any mood, even when walking home on flooded muddy streets.

5 comments:

  1. HAHAHAH!!!! I cannot believe you were THAT CLOSE to good ol' pauly. Pushpa would've been proud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good ol' pauly had me in a tissy for quite some time. I can't decide whether I want to read his new book or not, ugh. I'm afraid I'll want to throw it at the wall or something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should buy the book and then invite your Libyan friends to a bonfire to burn it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just kidding. I shouldn't promote book burnings, as that validates censorship. But seriously somebody needs to knock some cultural sensitivity into that guy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. we said something afterward about sensitivity and knocking, but then we thought hey he can say what he wants. we'll just disagree...with a passion.

    ReplyDelete