Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Sabas Town

I wish I could say the drive on the way back from the countryside was uneventful. Or even that it was the expected 8 ½ hours, but it wasn’t.

Because Ben left us days before, Philip and I could split up and each ride in a different jeep. Of course I enjoy your company Philip, but the bounty hunters in jeep 2 convinced me that riding with them was way cooler than riding in jeep 1. I mean heck I rode in that one on the way here and wanted to mix it up and experience the driving skills Moses had to offer. Woot woot, jeep 2. We’re off, jeep 1 takes the lead. See you later Philip! Moses rushes the team at the water stop because it’s already almost 2pm and we need to get to Buchanan before dark (5 hours away). The roads to Buchanan are not pleasant to maneuver through, even in daylight so bumping along in the dark is not an option in his mind. Estimate arrival time in Monrovia: 10pm.

2 hours in. Moses is a good driver, he knows how to work these roads and definitely knows the area. He likes keeping the conversation in the jeep going even if he’s the only one talking. He knows someone in every town and announces each county we enter. With no marker in site…“Welcome to Rivercess!” How do you know? We’re in the jungle. As we trek up the beginnings of a wooden planked bridge we feel the tires lose grip and we slide around. A bridge is not a good place to do this, but hey it’s Moses, we’re good. Everyone notices and a conversation on the quality of the tires (they are complete crap) begins. This UNHCR borrowed vehicle is a disaster. 3 or 4 tires have no grip. We move forward and in 15 min a tire blows. “Shhhhiiii, man-o bad tires.” We all hop out near one hut and wait as they change the tire with the spare on the back. Commence rain fall. “AWWW see this tire is no good too!” He points to the patches and punctures. Great. One spare and it’s almost as bad as the flat. Put it on and “by the grace of God we get to somewhere with tires.”

“Don’t bounce hard-o. take time yea? This blows and we walk.” Moses is worried. This tire is in rough shape as it is and we have narly road ahead. On top of which we’re racing the daylight. “Hey! Take time!” Lawrence is the one paying closest attention to the tire. “I have no fear. It either make it or not.” Oh Moses, I’m glad you have confidence. Boom! Same tire, flat. We’re screwed and we all know it. No spare, no service and no town close. It’s dusk. Crap. We all hope out again. Moses takes two guys and they start walking. They need to flag down a motorbike to carry the tire to town. We remove the tire and sit in the road to wait. Kelvin wonders off into the trees trying to find cell service (not happening homie). Brinys you feel bad about the tire? (as in am I worried). I'm too focused on where were going to sleep if we can’t make it back. Worried? No. Focused on back up plans. “Philip wouldn’t leave you yea? He can’t go to Monrovia without you.” I’m sure he would think that if he knew what has happened, but we can’t call him. Jeep 1 is trekking along.

If Bounty Hunter, Yamah was in this jeep I bet she wouldn't be lovin' IPA right now. It did make us know Liberia. In the hitchhiking sense.

“We might walk it, Briny—that ok?” How far we talking here? In reality if we have to I will. End of story. 3 hour walk to the closest town. Ok. 20 more min pass. One last attempt, cars are wizzing by like mad and we need to slow them down. Throw things in the road. Done. UN vehicle, heyyyyyyyyyyyy, what’s up Nigerian police force. “What happen to your car?” Two tires blown. We get them to ferry us to town with one tire, while Moses comes on a bike and collects the second tire. 20 min later we’re there. We can’t fix these. No one has any money. Ummmmm I have IPA allotted funds for this trip. Luckily I’ve used none of it yet. Done! Definition of IPA expense right here. Despite the fact that I’m stranded with them, Lawrence admits that if I were in jeep 1, they could not get home. Period. Let’s write up some expense receipts. Description for expense: these tires are worthless pieces of crap! Next goal. Call Philip. I’m the only one with money on my phone so bounty hunter, Helen and I wander off to find service. “You have to climb the wood tower two flights up and face to the left. Maybe you get some.” Helen: “really? Ok le’ go”” Thank you Liberia. You make everything so easy. Off we go. Helen: Hey! How you call the town?! Sabas town-o! ok. Up we go. We fill jeep 1 in on our situation. They’re in Buchanan and will wait. Fine. Helen, let’s eat. Briny buys. Bush meat, again. What is it? Who knows, again. 3 hours pass filled with many conversations about briny and her marriage status, why she choose Liberia and her Liberian English skills. Let’s move on. It’s dark and we’re two hours outside Buchanan, 5 outside Monrovia. Tires fixed. 5 min in, tire wabbly. Change to spare. Son of a…..

We reach Buchanan at 10pm. Jeep 1 is not there.They are in Monrovia. Turns out they didn’t wait. Moses, don't fall asleep on me buddy.Monrovia arrival time: 1am. All exhausted and in slight disbelief about how the day turned out. Happy we aren’t sleeping in the Bush tonight. Home at last. 7 am, up for work.

Ps--This experience landed me a Liberian name: Bendu: said Binu (Liberian version of Binta—my Gambian name).


5 comments:

  1. Brit!!! That's crazy. At least you have a good story. Hang tight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness...I just spent 30min at my sad little UN cubicle reading your amazing blog stories. I'm conflicted with slight envy that you're having such adventures, slight worry for you and your safety, and slight comfort remembering that you are a badass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. jacob, my director just got back from vacation and said "you had an axe in the car to make the road block yea?" ummmmm should we have? psh I dont know we just broke trees.

    anya thanks for the worry, seriously and thanks for the badass belief. at least you think so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brit, you are my hero. Seriously.
    -D

    ReplyDelete
  5. D,
    I wish you were here. I think you'd enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete