Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A New Problem

As mentioned before I live in downtown Monrovia, which is walking distance from Mamba Point. Mamba Point, where all the Western government and UN employees hang out. It’s the money of the city and presumably very nice. I finally decided to go into Mamba with a friend who works over there and experience what I knew was going to be the quintessential expat lifestyle. We go to a hotel restaurant and sit on the balcony facing the ocean. We order overpriced western food, of which I still managed to get really cheap and enjoy pretty good service surrounded by high profile expats. Feel like a colonialist yet? “Hey at least were not sitting where those guys are.” Ahead of us on the white, ocean breezy balcony are 5 tank top wearing, beer drinking, from the south without a doubt Americans sitting in the perfect viewing seats that both look over the ocean and at the poverty stricken locals walking down below.

We couldn’t help but assess every single group of people sitting around us. Sipping their imported drinks and eating $20 sandwiches. Hypocrite I know, but I had a local beer and a $7 sandwich. “I wonder what they all do here?” My friend and I confirm that the group next to us is UN of some sort, US Aid across the way and the loud southerners…”here for the oil, I bet.” Usually I would discredit my own statement as a joke, but him and I both know that the newest billboard in Monrovia says; “A New Day for Liberia: drilling oil in early 2011.” HA HA. Just what they need I’m sure. A new day huh? More like a new problem. Diamonds, gold, rubber…let’s throw oil into the mix and see how that goes. I can’t wait for that nightmare to begin.

“Soak it up, you’re going to the bush.” Despite our 1.30 hr judgment of the society sitting around us, the thing that makes me the most uncomfortable about being surrounded by this kind of colonial society, is that I am quite comfortable. It almost bothers me that I’m not bothered by them. Almost. The way they conduct themselves has its flaws, of course, but I will still enjoy the amenities they offer. Not too often naturally given that I am now in the Bush, where no such amenities are offered, but I like that too.

2 comments:

  1. I really like this post.
    I wish I have the english skills to comment this, because is a very interesting topic and not a lot of people wants to talk about it.
    I'm glad you are able to recognize and critize the expat circle thta reproduced a colonized society

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you. I'm very glad you appreciated it.

    ReplyDelete