Friday, February 11, 2011

Bounty Hunters


It’s official. I am leaving with two of the guys in my group (Philip and Ben) to the countryside, known as the Bush, in less than 24 hours. I’ve spent all week learning this ex-combatant reintegration survey we’re running inside and out…now I know why. IPA has chosen 28 of there best local Liberian surveyors to come out with us and evaluate whether what Landmine Action (the NGO implementing the program) chose to do with the ex-combatants in these rural areas worked or didn't.

I channeled my inner high school teacher this morning and gave out a quiz to all the surveyors on the 60+ page survey that they also need to know in their sleep. Just for fun I’m going to throw out a question I gave to them. What are 3 main tasks of the surveyor? Build a good relationship with the respondent (yeah, yeah), conduct the interview (no kidding) and track down the respondent. Track as in they may not be where they say they are or where they were last time so take a motorbike, a truck, or just yourself and find them. This is their most important job, You don’t track them down you can’t evaluate them.

Surveyor question: What if they’ve left the country for Ivory Coast?
IPA answer: we’re not sending you outside the country so don’t worry.

Personal thought: if they’ve let for the Ivory Coast then we know whether the reintegration program worked or not then…I’m going to go with didn’t work for now.

Either way if part of what we’re asking these surveyors to do is trek around different far off villages and find these ex-combatants, and they have successfully surveyed for IPA before, then I’m thinking they have pretty decent bounty hunter skills.

So off Philip and I go with 28 of these rockstar surveyors for at least 1 week, possibly 2 and Ben will hop in some form of air transport and meet us early in the week. Catch up with you when I return.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Sounds way more fun than my job. I get excited when we have a conference call with Iraq project managers :)

    ReplyDelete