Tuesday, July 12, 2011

A Day in the Life...

A few of my favorite (daily) things:

the use of small in Liberian English. Wait small, talk small, try small. (I tryin’ small to have plenty patience)

-Water bags. I like sucking down half a liter of water in under 5 minutes.

-The wind from motorbike rides, even with the occasional glide into on coming traffic.

-The response I get when I ask why we might be doing this. “There can be less traffic on this side.” (fair enough my man, drive on).

-The heavy rain even if it’s up to my shins in the streets.

-daily coconut water

-Adding an extra 15 minutes to our drive anywhere so that Phil and I can find a man with a wheelbarrow of coconuts.

-Mosquito hunting. Often a spur of the moment thing (quick kill in the kitchen). Sometimes pre meditated (get out of bed to find the buzzing). See it and smack it.

-BBC radio news: focus on Africa, while in the jeep.

- the soundtrack that comes along with focus on Africa BBC

-The Liberian handshake. It’s a standard handshake, glide your middle finger as you let go and snap with the other person’s finger and your thumb. There’s something truly satisfying about it when you finally get a good snap at the end.

The awkward moment you experience when you innately go for the Liberian handshake with someone who just got here. Nothing makes people more uncomfortable then dragging your finger across their palm and realizing they aren’t going to reciprocate.

Settlers of Catan and the heated battle that always ensues the second the game’s begun (I am not giving you my wheat, man!)

Billboards: Violence against women=justice (that's not what you mean)

Just a bit of the things that fill my days…Brehaung’s back to work.

2 comments:

  1. I loved BBC Middle East when I was in Cairo. There's just something about that "dun dun dun" sound that seems all too comforting. Do you get Al-Jaz english there? They have great docs!

    Please do teach me this handshake when you get back :) and I love settles of catan! Good board game!

    Enjoy the rest of your few weeks in Liberia and see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yea bbc africa is more of a ding sound or something. awesome and we do have Al-Jaz english. Don't worry I'll teach you the handshake while playing settler's!

    ReplyDelete